Friday, July 21, 2006

Old Tick Tock


BAKING AT THE OLD TICK TOCK

Here is a photo of one of my father's employees, the roll baker, at the Tick Tock that was located on Cahuenga Blvd. in Hollywood. The woman in this picture could have been the regular baker, the one who baked all the pies, cakes and other deserts for the restaurant. I am only guessing about her though since I was just a little boy at the time this photograph was taken.

NEXT CAME THE SALAD MAKER

The old Tick Tock was located in Hollywood, California. My parents had opened their first restaurant in 1930, but did not move into this location until 1934. This restaurant served over a thousand people a day in the first 20 years. Now that was a lot of salads to make use to satisfy the customers who came in each day to enjoy a lunch or dinner. I worked making salads in just this same spot when I was in high school. My parents were big on us working to make some spending money, while we learn the restaurant trade.

THE CENTRAL FIREPLACE

Right in the middle of the old Tick Tock's dining room was a fireplace with four separate hearths. This fireplace was put there to break up the dining room and to give the customers a break from the front door which was Always being opened with each new customer. This picture came from a drawing from the early Tick Tock that was located in an old promotional piece.


A VIEW OF THE NORTH SIDE OF THE DINING ROOM

Notice the chairs. These chairs were of a later addition to the dining room. They really did not fit in with the decor of the restaurant, but thy lasted for years and years. One can see from this picture that the family clock was placed on the fireplace. This was the clock that the Tick Tock Story speaks about.

2 Comments:

Blogger sal valdez said...

I am so glad I found this blog because when I was in high sschool in the late 60s, early 70s I worked at the tick tock restaurant in hollywood washing dishes. Actually there was a big dish washing machine. We rinsed the plates, placed them on the machine and then removed them after the cycle. We got a free meal during break. to this day 40 years later I still recall how delicious was that boneless rib stew. so good.

9:07 AM  
Blogger LabelsOnlyDirect said...

I loved loved loved Your restaurant. I wish II could find the recipe for the grape nut warm pudding.. it was GREAT

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home